Hello, bookish folks! Maybe not everyone of you know that, but aside from being a blogger, I’m also a writer. While I know that not everyone of you is a writer too, and that this list didn’t get many enthusiastic “yes”, well… here it is.
So, the meaning of this is to create a little database for all writers with useful link, article and book resource for research parts of the novel.
Here are few things that I want to state before you read the list:
- you’re always welcome to contact me with your research suggetion (books, text, useful sites….) and corrections
- the list feature both internet sites, blogs, text books and others
- when taking about a specific argument, like cultures, not every text or resource is by authors from that culture. I tend to add as many text as I can, because of various reasons. One of those is that not every writer as the same access to text book as others. Talking from my POV, sometimes I’ve great difficulties to reach for patricular texts from specific authors. So, please, remember to chose your text with attention, double checking it. Some of the listed text were discarded by me for my research because I’d the feel that aren’t so great. But maybe they will work for you.
For adding correction, disliking of a sources that you find really wrong or offensive, adding your own suggestion, please contact me at:
- my email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of “writing research page – suggestion”
- direct message me on Twitter (social link in the sidebar)
GENERAL WRITING INFORMATION
- Reference for Writers
- It’s a Writer Thing
- Workshopping your MS
- Writing Prompts
- The Writers Nest
- Writing Tips
- Writing References
- Yeah write
- Write World
- The Writers Helpers
- Cheat sheets for writing body language
- How not to write body language
- Fuck Yeah Character Development
- Script Feature
RACE, IDENTITY AND CULTURES
- Mixed Race Problems
- On Being a Mixed Person of Color
- Writing With Color
- Diversity in young adults books and films
- But diversity is unrealistic
DISABILITY, MENTAL ILLNESS AND NEURODIVERGENT
WORLDBUILDING AND GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
COSTUME AND FASHION
FOOD AND COOCKING
ARTS AND SPORTS
HISTORY AND RELATED FEATURES
NATURE, GEOGRAPHY AND SPACE
MEDICINE, HEALING, ILLNESS AND WOUNDS
WEAPONS, FIGHTS, BATTLES AND WARS
MAGIC, FANTASY AND MYTHS
- India (DK Eyeywitness Travel Guide) – notes: useful for many informations and a good base start to understand a bit the geography of India and its cities. It also has some map and draws of palaces and other notable places.
CUSTOM, TRADITIONS, MANNERS…
- Hindu manners, customs and ceremonies by Abbe J.A. Dubois – notes: currently reading for writing research. May have some useful notions but is a really old text that I found by case in a bookshop at a really cheap price. Soon I discovered that is a quite a racist and colonialist textbook and Abbe wrote many wrong things. Thankfully the edition I got had notes with corrections.
- Mythology Of All Races, Vol 6 by Louis H. Gray – notes: a quite informative text that maybe you should approcah if you already know something about the mythology. A good part of the book is focused on the more ancient version of the myths. There are many interesting notions about anything related to the death.